Today I have a very versatile cookie recipe to share with you. These cookies are easy to make, delicious and they are an awesome treat to use for all types of occasions. By simply changing the color of the M&Ms you use when baking the cookies you can customize them so many different ways. You could use red and green M&Ms for a holiday cookie exchange. Pink and red M&Ms would make them the perfect Valentine’s Day treat for teachers. Use your school colors for a school bake sale item. You might make them with the colors of your child’s sports team for an end of the year party. And the list could go on and on. In this house, we love to make them with the colors of our favorite NFL teams, so the version I share today will be Oakland Raiders M&M sugar cookies.
I recently made these cookies for my daughter’s birthday. The Oakland Raiders are her favorite football team and she chose to have a Raiders themed party this year. The cookies were a great addition to our dessert table.
The idea for NFL sugar cookies originally came from the blog Thirty Handmade Days. If you decide to make these for any football fans, please visit her site for some fun NFL printables to go with your treats. Please note, I did not use her recipe to make the cookies.
The recipe for the cookies was adapted from allrecipes.
M&M Sugar Cookies:
Makes approx. 5 dozen
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 cup (two sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups of M&M’s
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees
- Measure and then divide the M&Ms into two equal piles and set aside
- In a large bowl beat the butter and sugars with a kitchen aid or hand mixer until fluffy. Add the eggs, and vanilla and beat well.
- In a separate bowl mix the flour, baking soda and salt
- Add the flour/baking soda/salt mixture to the dough and beat on low just until combined
- Add 1/2 of the M&Ms and gently fold them into the dough
- Drop the cookie dough onto a lightly greased cookie sheet. I used a cookie scoop so my mine were all about one very rounded tablespoon.
- Take the remaining M&Ms and gently press them into the top of the cookies so you can clearly see the colors of the M&Ms you chose to cook with.
- Bake at 375 degrees for approx. 10 minutes or until the edges are lightly browning.